Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Two days

I missed an entry yesterday but it's not too important as nothing new really happened.  During the last two days I assisted in some more deliveries (gave shots and took blood from the cord) and saw more some c-sections.  I did get to witness a below the knee amputation which was quite exciting but seemed so strangely simple; it reminded me of deer hunting when we had the cut the legs off the deer.  Of course there's a lot more too it, just seemed rather "savage" as Dean so eloquently put it.  We were all four done at about 4ish on both days so we seized the opportunity to go to the nearby beach for a swim.  We met some pretty cool Norwegian guys and we will probably meet up with them sometime on the weekend.  Besides that, did a little bit of reading, watched a movie and went to bed nice and early.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, this morning was a little awkward as there was a little bit of a power struggle in our unit between the consultant, the registrar and the junior medical officers.  There were a few surprising comments made and it was got a little feisty.  Afterwards, both parties of the battle vented to Lucas and I, but we simply said we didn't want to get involved.  I'm starting to realize that medicine also involves a lot of politics.  
I'm off to watch a movie/doing some reading.  Until later.

No comments: