Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Fever

All the morning's action was overshadowed by everyone's excitement over Obama's victory, it was incredible to see how such an event affected the entire world.  The doctors discussed it with patients and there were shouts of YES WE CAN.  On a comical note, some of the people kept asking us how we felt about it, like we were a little upset or something. 
On a medical note, it was another very exciting day.  Rounds gave me opportunity to see a suspected ectopic pregnancy, a distraught woman following a spontaneous miscarriage (quite sad) and an assault involving a potential miscarriage.  Things were so busy we didn't get time for lunch and went straight into taking blood from many of the woman in the ward.  My first attempt was not successful, but in my defence it was a small vein and the doctor even ended up needing three tries.  My next try was more fruitful and I filled a nice 8 mL into the syringe.   Despite the lack of supplies/pretty  relaxed standard precautions, I was being quite careful considering the high prevalence of HIV.  We then rushed to the OR (got a piece of cake on the way) to watch a caesarian section. I had seen one before in Canada but it was still an exciting and shocking procedure.  The large baby (macrosomal) came out healthy and I'm curious to find out the weight tomorrow.   Tomorrow I'm hoping to witness another vaginal delivery, Lucas and I have bugged the nurses so much that as soon as there's talk of a delivery, we're hoping our nagging voices pop into their heads.  Until later.

No comments: