Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hiatus

I apologize for the hiatus during the last few days but one night I just didn't feel like writing and then yesterday the power was out and therefore the internet was down.  I don't quite know why or who I'm apologizing to, just thought it was a nice introduction.
Okay, I really have to think back now... what happened on Tuesday?  or Wednesday?  What about today?  I might just assimilate the last three days into one giant event.  I saw a observed a bunch of procedures in the OR (thyroidectomy, c-sections), assisted in an lymph node ectomy (helped suture, woohoo, and only stuck the scrub nurse once, woohoo, ha) and took blood from patients (4/4, my percentages are going up).   
Last night T&T played Cuba in a World Cup qualifier, we went to a bar to catch the action with local atmosphere, it was pretty sweet and everyone was pretty really it.
Today after getting off nice and early following surgical clinic (interesting cases from mastectomies, obstructive liver failure and jaundice, breast lumps, ganglion and sebaceous cysts, attempted suicide),  we went for another surf.  It was my turn on the small board and it went surprisingly well, got up quite often and had a blast.  We didn't stay too long though as the tide was quite low and the jagged coral was even more daunting as usual.  
When we came back in, we heard that one of the guys we surfed with had his money stolen out of his pouch, he was devastated.  Luckily our stuff was untouched but we didn't bring much out of the vehicle anyway.  He was Venezuelan, didn't speak much english, and had all his money in the pouch because he just came back from the bank to pay for his rent, unfortunate stuff.  I spoke a very broken spanish with him (despite the bad situation it was quite fun), and we gave him some money to last him until Sunday when he's scheduled to fly home.  Despite resisting for awhile, he was so grateful and told us "mi casa, su casa", pending any future trips to Caracas. Either way, one in the Karma bank for us. 
Well KD is waiting and I'm hungry.  Oh yeah, don't know if I'll write tomorrow night cause we're heading up to the north of the island to go scuab diving on Saturday.  Until later.

1 comment:

Frau said...

That was very nice to help the poor guy. Good for you!