Monday, November 10, 2008

Hands On Monday

Before I start talking about the intense day that it was, I have to add that on Sat on our boating trip I swam with two sting rays.  We saw one while snorkeling about 10 feet down while this other huge one (significantly bigger than my wing span), swan amongst us for about 10 mins.  His name was Trent and he normally comes around this bay because he gets fed by the guides.  Pretty cool stuff.
Anyway on to today... To make a few long stories short I took blood from two people, gave three shots including 50 mg I/M of pethidine (strong morphine like opioid, and assisted in THREE vaginal deliveries.  The last one, which happened at about 630pmish, was intense.  The baby's head came out with the umbilical cord wrapped pretty tightly around the neck.  It was just the midwife, Lucas and myself and she immediately cut the cord and rushed through the rest of the delivery.  The baby was unresponsive for about 30secs and the nurse had pushed the emergency response button while we tried to stimulate the baby (I was suctioning the fluid from the airway).  Eventually, thankfully, to our great relief, we heard a little whimper and then a cry.  The nurse was saying "Thank you Jesus" and we all breathed a huge sigh of relief.   Pretty intense to say the least, but it was a pretty incredible feeling because Lucas and I actually felt like we helped out.  It's a lot different than just standing around observing.
On a lighter note, here's a little story to illustrate the sometimes old fashioned  way of thinking at the hospital.  One of the docs was taking blood and Lucas handed her a tourniquet.  Slightly bewildered, she took it and tried to attach it around the patient's arm, but  to no avail.  She looked over to the other doc who simply said, "I don't even know how these work, just tie it in a knot".  Sure enough, she ended up tying a perfectly good tourniquet around the patient's arm using a simple knot.  Later, without being patronising/condescending, we showed them the simple click and pull.  I don't know if anyone else will find this funny but it's the equivalent of tying your fully functioning seat belt into a knot instead of clipping it in.
Well that's it for me, another tiring day means I need another good sleep tonight.  Until later.

1 comment:

annie danger said...

Post some pictures on here too. It's easy. Do it!!